If you are using the Transaction Pro Importer for QuickBooks Online that can be found on the Intuit App Center you have two options to map your data.
Option 1: Download the template from the Transaction Pro Importer and use this as a template. After launching the application look for the sample link file and download this excel file to your computer.
Each tab of the excel worksheet represents a different transaction type or list. In this example we will be demonstrating a journal entry import. You will notice later that the headers in row 1 of the Excel file match the QuickBooks fields on the mapping screen.
When you get to the mapping part of the product you will see three columns which are depicted below and work as follows:
- Column 1 or the QuickBooks field column contains the actual field name in QuickBooks.
- Column 2 of the Import Column is where the user selects which column that they want to have matched to the QuickBooks field in the first column. In this case since we are using the template provided within the product Transaction Pro already fills in all these fields.
- Column 3 or the Default Value is where the user would type in a default value that would be repeated on all rows in the import file. Some common uses might be (1) to provide a static RefNumber if the whole import file is one big journal entry or (2) transaction dates are not provided in the import file and there are journal entries for the month of April 2011 so the user types in a static value of 4/30/2011.
Also please note that fields required by QuickBooks have a red asterix next to the QuickBooks field. For journal entries the required fields are RefNumber, Account and Amount.
Option 2: Map your own import file.
These steps will show you how to map your own import template. Below is a sample journal entry file created in excel. Your import file should contain a header row (see the row highlighted in yellow).
When you get to the mapping section you will use the drop down arrows to select the import file column.
Below is a completed mapping screen for Transaction Pro Importer. You will notice that we typed in a default value for the QuickBooks Field, Note of CPA Entries. When you are done with the mapping select the save map button.
Below is a screen shot of how the data will be mapped to QuickBooks Online. You will notice that the words, CPA Entries, have been filled in on all lines of the import since it was provided as a default value in the mapping.
- Map files are saved by transaction type so the next time you login your maps will be saved.
- If you changed the header row in your import file you will need to redo your map.
If you haven’t already tried the free demo of this application you can try it out here.