There are many features available of the Transaction Pro Importer for QuickBooks mapping screen. This post will describe the following:
- The various buttons available on the Transaction Pro Importer mapping screen
- A description on how to map to the various QuickBooks fields
Various Buttons Available on the Transaction Pro mapping screen
The screen shot of the mapping screen below depicts various parts of the mapping screen with numbers next to it. Please view the screen shot below along with the text below the image.
- Map File Location: The location of the map file is indicated at the top of the mapping screen in red and has a file extension of dat. The file is a simple notepad document and can be shared with other users of Transaction Pro within your organization or may be requested by Baystate Consulting support team if you need support. Once you have completed the setup of your map file please create a copy of this file somewhere else in the event that this file is deleted or overwritten in error.
- Field Match Button: If your import file contains headers that matches the QuickBooks field column on the mapping screen simply select the Field Match button and Transaction Pro Importer will smart map the file for you based upon matching field names.
- Load Map Button: This button can be helpful in loading a map created on another computer or perhaps if you have multiple maps for a transaction type. Lets say you have two different shopping carts when you get to this mapping screen your can select which map that you want to use with the import file. Select the load map button and navigate to where the map file is saved.
- Save As Button: By default the map files are saved as [Transaction Type] Map.dat to the my documents\01 Transaction Pro Importer 4.0\ folder. If you want to change the file name or path you would select this button.
- Clear Map Button: The clear map button is used to clear out all fields mapped in this screen.
- Next Button: When you select the next button if any changes have been made to the map file these updates will automatically be saved.
How to complete the Transaction Pro mapping screen
Below is a screen shot depicting the three columns in the Transaction Pro mapping screen. Read below the screen shot for a detailed description of what is contained in each column.
- QuickBooks Fields: This column lists all the QuickBooks fields available for import within the selected transaction type. Required fields are highlighted in red. You can find a detailed data dictionary here.
- Import File Columns: This column contains drop down list of all the column headers from the import file. Put your cursor in the import file column next to the QuickBooks fields that you want to map and you will see an arrow on the right hand side of the import file column box that you are in. Select the arrow and you can then select a column heading to use.
- Static Value/Formula Column: This column can be used to type in a static value or a formula that can be typed in place of mapping a field from the import file. This value is repeated for each transaction in the import file. for example you might want to set the transaction date to 1/31/2011 for all transactions. The other option is to paste in a simple formula combining data within your import file. You can read more about creating these formulas here.
If you do not already have Tranaction Pro Importer for QuickBooks you can request a free demo here.